Monday, December 11, 2017

Follow SDSU  Follow SDSU on Twitter Follow SDSU on Facebook Follow SDSU on Google+ SDSU RSS Feed

Sustainable upgrades to the complex will save the university millions of dollars in deferred and ongoing maintenance costs. Sustainable upgrades to the complex will save the university millions of dollars in deferred and ongoing maintenance costs.
 


Storm and Nasatir Halls Grand Opening and Dedication

SDSU celebrated the opening and dedication of the newly renovated buildings.
By Natalia Elko
 

Hundreds of students, faculty and staff have been enjoying the newly renovated Storm and Nasatir Halls since the start of the spring semester on Jan. 22.

Today, San Diego State University President Elliot Hirshman and Paul Wong, dean of College of Arts and Letters, celebrated the grand opening of the building complex, and dedicated the new Charles Hostler Hall and the J. Keith Behner and Catherine M. Stiefel Auditorium.

“On behalf of the generations of students, faculty and staff who will study, learn and conduct research in these buildings — we thank Charles Hostler, Keith Behner and Catherine Stiefel for their continued support of the university,” Hirshman said.

Charles Hostler Hall

A retired Air Force colonel, whose titles have included U.S. ambassador to Bahrain and deputy assistant secretary for international commerce, Ambassador Charles W. Hostler, together with his wife Chinyeh, has demonstrated a lifelong commitment to international understanding.

The couple has supported the Charles W. Hostler Institute on World Affairs and many international programs in the College of Arts and Letters.

Ambassador Hostler served his country for more than 70 years. His honors include the U.S Legion of Merit, the Purple Heart and the French Legion of Honor. In 2010, SDSU recognized his achievements with an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree.

As a tribute to Ambassador Hostler and Chinyeh’s recent $3 million gift to support global studies, as well as the couple's ongoing support of SDSU, the university named the new 435-seat Charles Hostler Hall which will be used for classes, programs and events.

J. Keith Behner and Catherine M. Stiefel Auditorium

Keith Behner, ’71, and Catherine Stiefel, ’92, are Aztecs for Life. The couple has given to support Stiefel’s home college, the College of Business Administration, and Behner’s, the College of Arts and Letters. Their gifts have funded scholarships, endowments and program expansion within both colleges.

The couple’s  interest in and respect for the people and cultures of Latin America have led  to their support of the university’s core curriculum in Latin American studies, including the  new focus on Brazil. Currently, SDSU researchers are studying Brazilian approaches to health care, energy and urban planning.

Stiefel serves on the SDSU Campaign Initiative Committee and the Charles W. Lamden School of Accountancy Advisory Board. She was the 2013 Monty Award winner for the College of Business Administration and Behner is the 2014 Monty Award winner for the College of Arts and Letters.

Honoring their continued support and recent gift of $325,000 to the university, SDSU named the J. Keith Behner and Catherine M. Stiefel Auditorium. The 252-seat auditorium is the second largest room in the Storm and Nasatir complex and will be used to support students and faculty for classes and presentations.

New and upgraded facilities

Renovations to upgrade Storm and Nasatir Halls began in June 2012.

Built in 1957, the building received a complete makeover including upgraded program spaces for eight academic departments from the College of Arts and Letters, new and upgraded classroom technologies, academic and research laboratories and faculty offices. Along with two new lecture halls is a small food service facility/convenience store.

Upgrades to the existing 137,700 square-foot complex are in line with current health, safety, energy and access standards. They include new windows and an exterior finish, which has improved the building’s energy efficiency, as well as new elevators, ramps, site work and door operators which provide accessibility in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Deficiencies in the buildings have been addressed. Upgrades include a new code compliant HVAC system, new lighting and ceiling systems, telephone and data system upgrades, fire alarm, and a new security and electrical system.

The sustainable upgrades will save the university millions of dollars in deferred and ongoing maintenance costs. Building code and health and safety code deficiencies have been eliminated, and water use and energy consumption have been significantly reduced.

This largely state-funded project had a total price tag of $73,048,000. Paid for with $62,803,000 in state funds, along with a $10,245,000 investment from in non-state funded support, 485 new jobs were created during its construction. It generated an estimated $70 million worth of economic benefit to the region during the two-year project period.

The project architect was LPA, Inc and the general contractor was CW Driver.

A history of dedications

In 1986, both Storm and Nasatir Halls were named for renowned SDSU professors.

The west wing of the social sciences building on campus was renamed Storm Hall in honor of Alvena Storm. A geography instructor who joined the faculty in 1926 and taught on campus for 40 years, Storm was regarded as an expert on the geography of California and the American West.

Nasatir Hall was named in honor of Abraham P. Nasatir, a professor emeritus of history, who taught at SDSU for 46 years, from 1928-1974. Nasatir was internationally known for his research on California history and received four Fulbright fellowships.