Guidelines for Choosing a Major
Choosing a major is not always easy. Choosing a major is NOT the same thing as choosing a career.
Don't feel that you have to make a decision about how you will spend the rest of your life. Instead, realize that you are making one of many decisions you will make, as you move along your path toward a meaningful career.Review the following guidelines.
Explore your interests and skills
- Do you prefer to work with data, people, or things?
- Define the skills and strengths you would prefer to use on a daily basis.
- Discuss your interests and skills with a career counselor.
- Take an assessment which can help you choose a major and assess occupations.
Explore your values
Identify and research majors most related to your interests, skills, and values
- Find out more about SDSU colleges and majors.
- Talk to other students in the majors you are considering.
- Take an introductory course in majors of interest.
Explore majors and career options
- Attend career fairs to learn about careers options and requirements
- Network at events and career panels to learn from professionals
- Obtain internships to gain experience and evaluate options