Message to Campus
Jan. 17, 2013
|Elliot Hirshman |
Subject: Strategic Planning
We would like to thank the many members of the university community who have provided input to the strategic planning process to date. We are once again soliciting your input.
The strategic planning task forces represent five areas of critical importance:
- Student Success and Academic Excellence
- Research and Creative Endeavors
- Community Engagement (inclusive of Campus Climate, K-12 partnerships, Alumni Engagement, and Economic Development)
After gathering input and deliberating on these topics since September, each task force has now published a draft report for additional feedback from the campus community. You can access these draft reports on the reports page of the Strategic Plan website.
The following are brief highlights from each draft report:
- The Student Success and Academic Excellence task force recommends the following three goals: Increase graduation and retention rates with a particular focus on increasing our four-year graduation rate while also supporting the level of student learning particularly in regards to writing and quantitative reasoning; attract and support more high-achieving students across the university; and address issues related to the use of alcohol and other drugs
- The Research and Creative Endeavors task force recommends the following strategic goal: San Diego State University will continue to build its distinctive profile as a dynamic community of diverse, high-quality and innovative scholars and artists with local, national, and international impact and influence
- The Community Engagement task force has the following primary recommendation: Restructure/develop communication/information infrastructure systems to facilitate interaction among the campus and its communities
- The Diversity task force recommends the following three goals: Increase the Recruitment and Retention of Underrepresented Students; increase the Recruitment and Retention of a Diverse Faculty and Staff; and increase the Cultural Competency of Students, Faculty and Staff
- The Internationalization task force has the following five recommendations: Modifying the mission statement to include a statement about internationalization; increasing the number of students who have international experiences; increasing the number of international Students at SDSU; explore the role of Distance Learning in Internationalization; and establish of a Standing Senate Committee on Internationalization
Your feedback on the recommendations outlined in the draft reports is essential for university planning as the strategic plan will be an important factor in guiding resource allocations for the 2013/2014 budget. The reports will be available for your review and feedback through Thursday, January 24th.
Final task force reports will be provided to the Steering Committee on February 1st and will be available on the strategic planning website.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to review the draft reports. Your input is greatly appreciated.
If you have any questions or comments, please send them to email@example.com.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view; download Adobe Acrobat Reader.