The weeklong celebration features premiere ensembles in free and ticketed concerts.
San Diego State University has long been known for having one of the premier jazz studies programs in the United States, and regularly attracts the finest talent from across the country and abroad.
The program prepares talented young musicians for prominence in the professional world, and offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees in jazz studies. The three full-time jazz professors, Bill Yeager, Rick Helzer and Richard Thompson, are complemented by the finest studio faculty available in the region.
Each semester during “Jazz Week,” SDSU’s premiere ensembles revisit memorable moments in jazz. For the week of Nov. 29-Dec. 3, Jazz Week features the following performances in Smith Recital Hall:
- Noon, Monday, Nov. 29: Jazz Combo #2 (free)
- 6 p.m., Monday, Nov. 29: SDSU Jazz Ensemble ($15 general/$12 seniors and students)
- 6 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 30: SDSU Jazz Combo #1 ($15 general/$10 seniors and students)
- Noon, Wednesday, Dec. 1: SDSU Vocal Jazz Ensemble (free)
- 6 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 1: SDSU Jazz Combos #4 and #5 (free)
- 6 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 2: SDSU Jazz Combo #1 (free)
- Noon, Friday, Dec. 3: SDSU Jazz Combo #3 (free)
For further information about Jazz Week, please contact Bill Yeager, director of Jazz Studies, at 619-594-4680. Tickets are available at www.sdsu.edu/musicdancetix
or at the box office one hour before the performance.