Content Skip to content.
San Diego State University

export control header

Export Information for Researchers

Export control regulations apply whether or not the University is funded by a grant, contract, or any other type of agreement or unfunded research.

Impact to Your Research

Are you an exporter? If you do any of the following you are likely an exporter:

  • Teaching foreign nationals about the “use” or “design” of export-controlled equipment/tools, or related technologies
  • Disclosing or shipping a 3rd Party controlled proprietary info to a foreign national in the U.S. (even in your own lab) or to anyone outside the U.S. as part of a research project
  • Make sure you know whether you are receiving any “export-controlled information” or “controlled proprietary info” specified in NDAs, contracts, grants, MTAs, or purchase orders
  • Providing any service or anything of value to a sanctioned country (Cuba Iran, North Korea, Syria or Sudan)


Export licenses can take 60 days to 3 months to obtain once the applications are submitted to the US government.

  • Physical shipments could be delayed
  • International collaborations & exchange of export controlled information could be delayed

Restricted equipment or export restricted research on campus trigger the need for a technology control plan (TCP). TCPs require additional levels of physical and IT security and foreign national review and licensing requirements.

Training on military restricted (ITAR) equipment could trigger export licensing requirements for certain foreign nationals on campus. The US Government will not issue ITAR export licenses for certain nationals from proscribed countries. Early review of proposals and project teams is recommended to understand the export compliance obligations.

University Activities Affected

In general, the export control regulations cover four main types of University activities:

  1. Shipment, from the United States to a foreign country, of controlled physical items, such as scientific equipment, that requires export licenses.
  2. Travel to certain sanctioned or embargoed countries, like Cuba and Iran, for purposes of teaching or performing research.
  3. Transfer of information related to export controlled items, including technical data, to persons and entities outside the United States.
  4. Verbal, written, electronic, or visual disclosure to, or sharing with foreign nationals of controlled scientific and technical information related to export controlled items, even when it occurs within the United States.

Adobe Reader LogoNote: Documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view; download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

MS Word Logo

Note: Documents in Microsoft Word Format (Doc or Docx) require Microsoft Word Viewer to view; download Microsoft Word Viewer.

For More Information

Division of Research Affairs
Export Control

Gateway Center, Rm 3518
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182
5250 Campanile Dr., MC 1933 
Phone: 619-594-0758
Fax: 619-594-4109