Skip To Content

School of Teacher Education

School of Teacher Education

Master of Arts
In Various Concentrations

Master of Arts in Teaching

Concentration in Language Arts (summer only)

The MA in Reading Education degree, Reading Certificate, and Reading Specialist Credential programs are designed to provide increased knowledge and skill for those who are or wish to become reading/language arts specialists in public or private schools, clinics, and at community colleges. The program is also ideal for elementary and secondary teachers who plan to remain in the classroom but who wish to deepen their theoretical and practical understandings about the teaching of reading and the language arts. Candidates are prepared to teach, tutor, develop curriculum, offer in-service instruction and administer reading centers for students ranging from preK through community college. The MA in Reading Education degree is often earned concurrently with a California Reading Specialist Credential.



Master of Arts Admissions Requirements

Scholarship Opportunities

Advising & Information Sessions

The next information session is scheduled for Thursday February 18, 2016 at 4:30 pm in the Literacy Center. 


Frequently Asked Questions

[+] Who Should Apply for the Summer MAT in Language Arts?
[+] What Makes This Program Different From Others?
[+] What Are the Specifics I Should Know?
[+] Is this a MAT program for K-12 teachers?
[+] I am a secondary teacher. Is this program also for me?
[+] Can I transfer in units from my credential program or another university?
[+] How many weeks do I have to attend summer school?
[+] What are the class times?
[+] What are the Courses?
[+] Can I be a student in this program if I’m a year round teacher?
[+] Do I have to take a comprehensive exam?
[+] Do I need teaching experience before applying?
[+] Is a California teaching credential required?
[+] If I don’t live in San Diego where can I stay during each summer?
[+] Are courses offered online?
[+] What score do I need on the GRE?
[+] When must I complete the GRE?
[+] Do I have to write a thesis?
[+] Is financial aid available?
[+] Who should I contact for more information?
[+] How Do I Apply?
School of Teacher Education

Front Desk (EBA 255) | 619-594-6131