Master of Arts Degree in Education with a Concentration in
K-8 Mathematics Education
Download directions here.
We seek elementary teachers or middle school teachers of mathematics who are interested in exploring how to teach and learn mathematics more effectively. You do not need to be a math whiz to join the program. You do, however, need to have an interest in furthering your knowledge of the mathematical ideas in the K-8 curriculum, how children think about mathematics, how math instruction can empower all children rather than an elite few, and how research can improve instruction. The program consists of 30 units of coursework.
Topics to be addressed include:
What are the unifying mathematical ideas behind the K-8 mathematics curriculum?
- How can mathematics be empowering for all children rather than an elite few?
- How do children (as opposed to adults) think about mathematics?
- What are the implications of the Common Core Standards in Mathematics on teaching practices?
- What does it mean to have a deep understanding of mathematics?
- How can we effectively assess our students' understandings?
- How can research improve our instruction?
- What mathematics education issues are being discussed locally, nationally and internationally?
"This program was the best integrated program of classes I have ever taken.
Because of this integration I was able to learn more and understand more in my classroom."