Basic Skills Requirement
The California Education Code specifies that candidates for a credential must verify basic skills proficiency in one of three ways:
1. Passing the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- Go to the CBEST website for test dates, online registration, and more
- Plan to take the exam early in the application process.You must pass all three sections (Reading, Mathematics, and Writing)
- Computer versions of the exam will be offered for a one week period each month. Taking the exam this way is more costly ($105 versus $41 for paper exam), but you are able to take the exam more frequently. For more info visit the CBEST web site.
- Upload a copy of the score sheet you receive in the mail to the online Supplementary application. If you receive your scores after you submit your application then you will need to email it to our Admissions Coordinator at email@example.com
2. The CSET: Writing Skills test (available to MULTIPLE SUBJECT applicants only)
- Go to the CSET site for test dates, online registration, and more.
- Plan to take the exam early in the application process. You must pass this writing exam in addition to the 3 Multiple Subject subtests of CSET.
- You will need to upload a copy of the score sheet you receive in the mail to the online departmental application. If you receive your scores after you submit your application then you will need to email it to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Successful completion of both ELM and EPT exams or the CSU EAP exam
For more information on option #3, please visit the CCTC website about the Basic Skills requirement
Back to "To Do list"