SDSU's Department of Special Education offers programs with course approval from the Behavior Analyst Certification Board®
towards the BCaBA and the BCBA, as well as the Advanced Certificate in
Behavior Analysis. Coursework is offered for individuals seeking both
levels of certification.
Note: If you want to enroll at SDSU only
to take the courses toward the BCABA or BCBA, you must enroll in the
Advanced Certificate in Behavior Analysis. (If you want a certificate
from SDSU, you must take at least 12 units.) Therefore, all candidates
should enroll in the Advanced Certificate program.
BCaBA: Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst
- Coursework consists of 12 credit hours (4 classes).
- Classes can be completed over a 1-year period.
- Fieldwork (1,000 hours. Not offered through SDSU; see Required Fieldwork below.)
BCBA: Board Certified Behavior Analyst
- Coursework consists of 19 credit hours (7 classes).
- Classes can be completed in a 1-year period, but most students require 2 years.
- Those interested in completing BCBA coursework should already hold
an M.A./Ph.D. or should be concurrently enrolled in a graduate program
at SDSU or elsewhere.
- Fieldwork (1,500 hours. Not offered through SDSU; See Required Fieldwork below.)
Advanced Certificate in Behavior Analysis
Students have the option of applying to the Advanced Certificate in
Behavior Analysis program. This consists of 12 credit hours: the 3 BCaBA
classes, and one additional class. Link to online application.
Note that these SDSU programs provide only the coursework for the BCaBA and BCBA. In order to be eligible to sit for the BCBA/ BCaBA exam
and become a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, you must also complete
fieldwork (1,000 hours for BCaBA; 1,500 hours for BCBA). Students must
make their own arrangements for fieldwork and supervision. See the BACB website for a registry of certified supervisors in your area.
Gainful Employment: Federal Disclosure Requirements
Please visit the Gainful Employment Disclosures page for federal disclosure requirements regarding gainful employment (Gainful Employment Disclosures Accessible Version).