Content Skip to content.
San Diego State University

OSS Home

Credential Processing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


What is CCTC?

CCTC stands for the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The commission governs all teacher preparation and credentialing matters.  The CTC issues your teaching or services credential. The CTC website is located at


What is the processing time for a credential exit application?

All credential applications are processed within 6-8 weeks or 50 working days from the date we receive the application.

What is the processing time for the Commission on Teacher Credentialing to issue my credential online after my university has submitted the recommendation online? 

Online recommendations submitted to the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) are usually completed within 10 working days. You will be notified via email once the CTC processes and issues your document online.


How do I change my address and email with the credential office?

You may submit changes to your email information at any time using the student webportal account. Our office does not have access to update your email and address information through webportal.


How do I change my last name to make sure my credential is issued with my new name?

The process for official name change request must be submitted to the SDSU Registrar’s Office and normally will take less than 3 business days. Once your new name is reflected on your student webportal, please notify your credential analyst so that we can update your name on your e-file and recommend you to the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing using your current name on file with the university.

If your credential has been processed through the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing, You may submit changes to your personal information at any time using the Online Services for Educators button on the Commission's website to access your personal profile.


What type of teacher credential will I earn? 

Teacher candidates earn ‘2042 Preliminary Multiple or Single Subject Teaching Credential’ 


What does ‘2042’ and ‘preliminary’ mean? 

2042 refers to Senate Bill 2042 which established the most recent requirements for the preliminary teaching credential.

For California, the ‘initial’ or ‘basic’ credential is referred to as the preliminary credential. The preliminary credential is valid for five years and must clear it by completing an induction program either through an employer or university.

All preliminary teaching credentials are issued with English Learners Authorization. You do not have a separate CLAD certification or authorization but you are authorized to work with English Learners.

Can you tell me which school districts in California have a need for teachers?

You must contact the individual school districts, county offices of education, or other agencies for information on employment opportunities. Please visit the California Department of Education's California School Directory for a list of the county offices of education along with their addresses and phone numbers. Many districts in California provide information on employment opportunities on their own district's website. Individuals interested in teaching opportunities throughout California should visit the EdJoin website.


What is an Internship and what Internships Program are available at SDSU?

An internship provides the opportunity for candidates to obtain their credential by taking courses and student teach while they are working as full-time teachers. Interns receive their paycheck for teaching and support from the school district and the university.  An internship is most ideally suited for someone who has had experience, but limited academic training, as a classroom teacher, as a substitute teacher or as a classroom assistant and who has a basic understanding of the challenges that face a first year teacher. Candidates need to juggle their classroom and coursework responsibilities.

SDSU offers the Preliminary Education Specialist Internship Teacher Credential program in Early Childhood, Mild Moderate and Moderate Severe. At this time, we do not offer the Single Subject or Multiple Subject General Education Internship program.


How do I qualify to the Education Specialist Internship Credential? 

To be eligible for the Education Specialist internship credential, you must be admitted to SDSU Preliminary Education Specialist Credential Program and meet ALL the following requirements outlined below.

  • Complete all program prerequisite coursework or preservice preparation for intern. Depending on your education specialist specialization, please refer to the program prerequisite course list for more information.
  • Meet the Basic Skills requirement (i.e., pass CBEST or its equivalents)
  • Possess Fingerprint Clearance (i.e., Certificate of Clearance or valid CTC Permit)
  • Meet Subject-Matter Competency (pass MS-CSET)
  • Meet the U.S Constitution requirement via exam or course. If you have a Bachelor’s degree from a CSU, you already have fulfilled this requirement.
  • Secure a job offer as an intern from an employer that SDSU has a formal agreement with  (MOU agreement). You can only be an intern if such a formal agreement has been created and approved by the Special Education Department. For more questions regarding current internship MOUs, please contact the Special Education Department. Please visit the Special Education Advisor webpage for contact information of your Special Education Graduate Advisor.
  • Complete the Internship credential request form paper work with the Office of Student Services at least 2 weeks prior to your first date of your internship assignment to ensure your internship credential can be processed and issued by the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Your employer will need verification of the internship teaching credential when you begin your intern assignment. Please refer to the intern application checklist on documents required to be submitted with your application. For additional instructions, please contact a credential analyst.