Skip To Content

College of Education

College of Education

Admissions Requirements and How to Apply

Preliminary Credential Admissions Requirements

Subject Matter Competency Waiver

Single Subject candidates may meet this requirement through a waiver program (from the undergraduate major).

If you attended SDSU for your undergraduate degree:

  • You must obtain an Advisors Recommendation form (waiver) signed by the designated advisor for the academic teaching major on this campus (see chart below), or a letter from the credentials analyst at another California institution that has an approved subject matter waiver program.
  • SDSU does not provide evaluation services to individuals who graduated from other universities.
  • Faculty advisors are available during the academic year (fall/spring), but generally are not on campus during the summer session. Please refer to the list of advisors below.

The following are Single Subject advisors at SDSU who can evaluate your transcript to see if you meet the waiver program in the following areas.  This list is not a listing of current waiver propgrams at SDSU—only the subjects with asterisk/stars have current waiver programs.

ArtMark SiprutArt 509619.594.2850
English*Phillip Serrato
Mathematics*Janet Bowers
GMCS 570
Mathematics (Foundational level) Virginia Loh-Hagan EBA 255F 
Music*Charles Friedrichs
Nan McDonald

Biology*Kathy WilliamsPS 151A619-594-4358
Chemistry* Geosciences*
Phoebe Roeder
Social ScienceBrian AdamsNH

If you attended another school in California, other than SDSU, for your undergraduate degree:

  • You must obtain a letter from the credential analyst at your California institution that has an approved subject matter waiver program which will prove you have completed the appropriate course work for the waiver program at your institution.
  • Only programs that have been evaluated and approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) fulfill this requirement. SDSU cannot provide courtesy evaluations of subject matter coursework for candidates who graduated from other institutions.
College of Education Office of Student Services